Thursday, September 3, 2015

Life is Full of Lessons Why Not Learn Some While Being Injured

In life we are constantly presented with challenges. Some are easier to cope with than others but one must always fight to overcome the challenge they face the best they can. Back on June 6th when I had to DNF the race I had trained so hard for I was presented with a challenge.  Not a small challenge at all with the severe pain I was experiencing in my left hip. Within days of the race I was in at the doctor listening to him talk about what could be wrong with me. It was one of two things, either a stress fracture of the hip or  ligament damage to the hip joint.  I knew what it was because of my pain areas and the lack of weight I could bear on my leg. I knew it was the fracture. (Thanks to Dr Google)
It then took three weeks to get my Mri because of some insurance issues. During that three weeks my pain was some of the worst pain I had ever experienced.  It was worse than having my children natural.  I never wanted to stand up because everytime I did the stabbing pain would put tears in my eyes and my leg would collapse. I always had to hold on to something or I would fall over. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet or my leg would seize up. My walking wasn't really walking it was a very bad limp. I was tired all the time. My endurance levels that were so high all of a sudden were gone. My body was exerting all its energy to trying to cope with my injury and my mental stability was crumbling into pieces.  I literally just felt like I was in a fog. 
After my Mri I was on crutches.  Crutches are not fun. Dr said 6 weeks of them. I was saddened but knew I needed to or I would never heal. The summer kept ticking away and I was trying my best to be a good Mom, trying to keep my house halfway clean, trying to work my job which involves caring for seniors and trying not to fall into a depression. My crutches hurt me to use but it also hurt to not use them. I was doing my best to use them as much as I could.  As my 6 weeks was closing in I knew I wouldn't be off the crutches yet. It still hurt. I was right.  Dr put me on them for another 3 weeks. This three weeks was the hardest. I was 9 weeks into my injury starting these three weeks. We had plans, we had a family vacation, we had Lagoon,  we had to get ready for back to school and we had kids sports starting back up. We managed though.  My kids are troopers and understood Mom was hurt and we adjusted some of our plans with no complaints.  We still had an amazing vacation and managed to get the school clothes and supply shopping done. 
As I went to the Dr again I walked out without my crutches. Whoo hoo! The battle wasn't over yet though. 12 weeks since injury I was just starting physical therapy.  I still can't run. I can't even walk for exercise.  I am getting my leg strength back and my limp is almost gone. I am constantly sore from the physical therapy but it makes me happy because I know soreness in the muscles means stronger muscles.
This takes me to where I am at today. I go back to the Dr again in a week and a half and I am hoping I get the permission to slowly start running again. It will be a slow come back but I know I will be back to where I was in no time. I will not rush it for I do not want to hurt my hip again.
I have learned some very valuable lessons the last few months. I have learned that I enjoy a lot of other things besides running and that just being able to walk is a blessing that I will not take for granted again. I have learned that even though the last few months have been a blur where I felt like everything was falling apart, my kids and husband have stood by me and dealt with me. They have seen me cry and they have seen my pain but they are the only ones that have stood by me this whole time. They have dealt with horrible dinners and a messy house (If I ever get hurt again I have learned I am hiring out help) but they are still here and they don't complain and I thank them wholeheartedly for that.
I will be back! I am on the mend and I am happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment