Sunday, March 23, 2014

Antelope Island Buffalo Run...My First 50 Mile Race Report

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow" Ronald E. Osborn
The white specks are headlamps coming up the hill.

Laying in bed attempting to sleep the night before this 50 mile race my heart was racing already. I haven't had this feeling since before my very first marathon years ago. I could not calm down. Dang nerves! Finally I fell asleep.The morning of the race I felt much better. I was ready to get out there and run this thing. Physically and mentally I was prepared.

As the race started being able to chat with friends made the first few miles fly by. Before I even knew it as I looked at my watch I had already ran for an hour. Not paying attention to the miles for I knew this section of trail fairly well as having run on it quite a few times. I felt strong and knew this was going to be a good day! Running in and out of elephant head was fun, the 'fast' people we coming back out as I was going in. It's so neat to see these amazing strong runners on the trail and not just running in their dust. Even though I really was but it was fun to see their faces. I did pay attention to the women and noticed there was only few of them in front of me at this point and I got nervous thinking I am out of my place here. Should I slow down....maybe.... I don't know...yes....no! I came to terms with myself and continued to push forward where I was feeling comfortable. Working through the climbs battling the wind and dust in my face I started to struggle with a lifetime disease of mine called 'asthma'. Finally got it back under control as I worked myself back into Elephant head for the third time. Didn't even stop this time I had everything I needed and was good to continue on back to the start line area. Coming down from elephant head I ran into some of the 50 k leaders and they were so encouraging.The trail running community is full of the nicest people.
Half a mile from the start line I got attacked by the 25k's. I was trying so hard to get back before they started but couldn't do it. Thankfully the kind man I was running with at the the time, who also was at least 6 feet tall told me to run right behind him so I didn't get trampled. Such a gentleman! We made it, phew! As I came into the HUMR aid station, I got hugs! I am loving all my new friendships I have gained in the recent months it really helps to have support on the race course.
Made a pit stop and headed on out again and was still feeling strong but decided I would walk part of the hill on the way out. Got down to the Mt View trail and did the out and back and headed to the ranch. I was running great keeping my pace close to a 9min mile. Nothing was bothering me but I started to play it safe a little and walked a few hills knowing I still had a VERY long way to go. As I reached the Frary Aid station I ate my usual banana and chips refilled my bottles and off I went again. By this time I had only one salt pill. I am trying to figure this salt pill thing out. I am very new at this. As I approached the Ranch I noticed I was starting to swell in my hands and took another salt pill. The ranch was a welcoming sight. I had a friend meet me there and she was going to finish this thing with me. Being new to this distance I figured a pacer was probably I good thing this time. Emptied my shoes of rocks and continued back out into the wind again. Yuck! My first few miles back out went great until mile 39 and my lungs hurt so bad. I started getting sharp pains and was feeling lightheaded. It hurt so bad....... I could not breathe. I can only pump my inhaler every 30 minutes and even at that its risky to my overall health. I could not get these attacks under control. I started walking every hill for a few miles and would push on the flatter sections. I knew I was was losing ground and it was mentally draining. My legs felt so good... why couldn't my lungs!?  At one point the thought of quitting crossed my mind, but I quickly reminded myself "I am not a quitter!!" As I approached the Mt. View Aid station I actually sat down. I needed to recoup. As I sat there for way too long the friendly aid station workers kicked me out and told me a girl with a HUMR headband needs to move and not sit! So I did! I was feeling better, I could breathe again!! The chest pain was still there but I could breathe. Pushing hard again and trying to regain some of my lost time I was running hard around onto the Lakeside trail. I was on a high and I knew I had this. I knew my time goal wasn't going to be achieved, but I was ok because I had almost just ran 50 miles!! That to me is a huge accomplishment and even a year ago I thought these long distance runners were crazy. Here on the last stretch of road in a distance I saw a familiar figure, it was my hubby, Jeremy. I didn't think he was going to be there and he was. I was so excited and glad he could see me finish this accomplishment. He plays such an important role in me being able to train. Then the finish line was in sight. As I rolled in I was amazed at the support and cheering from everyone. Thanks to my friend Sue for helping me through my dark spots and running the last 17 miles with me and thanks to all the HUMR's for your cheerful support throughout the course!

Finished!!

I was so excited to be done!


















Lessons learned:
1. Drink more broth..it went down really well.
2. Use a few more salt pills.
3. I am strong and I will keep pushing through my asthma.
4. I will do another 50 mile race.
5. I will start training harder...I am tired of being right behind the fast girls! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great report and huge congrats on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cory! A year a go I would have never thought I could call myself an Ultra runner.

    ReplyDelete